Gunnison Valley Hospital owes its beginning to Dr. G. Stanford Rees, who came to the valley in 1932 directly after his residency, and started his family practice in the former Gunnison Valley Bank building. In order to increase the quality of care and scope of services offered to his patients, Dr. Rees opened the first hospital in Sanpete County in the 1940s.
The top floor of the building served as the hospital, while the lower level was the Rees family home. The upper level consisted of patient rooms, a delivery suite, an operating room, a laboratory and an X-ray room. At that time, a hospital room was available for $3 per day and a delivery procedure cost $25.
In 1949, Dr. Rees sold the hospital to the local communities for $1, with the stipulation that it would continue to operate as a full-service hospital. Eventually this hospital became inadequate and a new hospital was opened in in May of 1970. Since then, the hospital has operated at its present location and undergone three major additions, making Gunnison Valley Hospital a state-of-the-art, modern health-care facility. The hospital now features 25 private patient rooms, three family friendly delivery suites, two operating suites, a full-service laboratory, and imaging services featuring not only X-ray, but CT scanning, fluoroscopy studies, digital mammography, ultrasound and MRIs; all linked with a picture archival computer system (PACS).
The hospital now offers a variety of inpatient and outpatient services as well as caring home health and hospice services. Thirteen family practice providers are associated with the facility, along with a general surgeon, two radiologists, and a variety of visiting specialists, providing services ranging from dermatology to oncology.
If Dr. Rees were here today, he would be amazed at the progress and scope of services that are now available at the facility. He would also be pleased to see that the care and concern for each individual patient is still the focus and foundation of all services provided at this community hospital.