A History of Service For Over 85 Years

Our History

Gunnison Valley Hospital is a Critical Access Hospital (CAH) located in Gunnison, Utah. Our long history of offering quality care to residents of Central Utah dates back to 1932, when hospital founder Dr. Stanford Rees started his medical practice in the old Gunnison Valley Bank building. 

In order to increase the quality of care and scope of services offered to his patients, Dr. Rees opened the first hospital in Sanpete County in the 1940s. The top floor of the building served as the hospital, while the lower level was the Rees family home. The upper level consisted of patient rooms, a delivery suite, an operating room, a laboratory and an X-ray room. At that time, a hospital room was available for $3 per day and a delivery procedure cost $25.

In 1949, Dr. Rees sold the hospital to the local communities for $1, with the stipulation that it would continue to operate as a full-service hospital. Eventually this hospital became inadequate and a new hospital was opened in May of 1970. 

His tireless dedication to his patients is legendary and continues to be the inspiration for our thriving medical community that now provides state-of-the-art facilities and increasingly excellent care to area residents.

Providing quality care is the very core of our mission and the reason we continue to invest in top-of-the-line equipment and services. With three state-of-the-art surgery rooms, a full-service laboratory and three private labor-and-delivery suites, the hospital is able to provide most major healthcare services right here in Gunnison. We also bring in a variety of visiting specialists and offer telemedicine services to enhance the range of services available. And we administer seven off-site clinics to bring healthcare services even closer to home.